Friday, January 20, 2012

Street Treats with Triet

Last night was street food treats with an amazing Vietnamese teacher I taught with last summer.  He has perhaps the most smiling eyes I have ever seen.  He took me to a little alley restaurant that has been there for thirty years.  At 8pm we were a bit late, so they were out of some of their specialties. So we only had Bun Bo Hue which I've had before and didn't enjoy.  This time it was delicious - fresh mildly sweet and a true contender for my love of Pho.  Then my absolute favorite, Bo La Lop.  This was by far my favorite.  The beef wrapped in grape leaves was smaller than the usual place I go but it was by far superior in freshness and taste.  The fermented fish sauce was  richer. Even though we were full, we opted for a sweet treat as it was his mothers favorite.  I was a little nervous as this was unfamiliar territory.  Basically, you are served flowery sugary jasmine iced tea with your choice of jellies, fruit, chestnuts, lotus seeds and algae.  The chestnuts and clear jellies were wonderful.  The lotus seeds were a little too perfumy and seemed to be a little rancid.  He gave me a gift of dried coconut and sesame ginger peanut brittle that was the perfect ending to a great night. I love that this street is just minutes away from my house ... dinner for a dollar.  Thanks Triet.

No comments:

Post a Comment