Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Coming and going

A month ago I was nervous about going back to the states.  A week ago, I was nervous about coming back to Saigon.  Regardless of a previous visit to the states, I was mostly concerned with culture shock. The shock and reverse shock was mostly with language as it was previously.  Entering LA, it just seemed so loud.  Funny coming from a city of 8 million.  But being able to understand everyone was both annoying and funny as I found myself hanging on every word around me.  People seemed a little more rude in the states but being able to say thank you so much was incredibly comforting.  As I've said before I'm not homesick just family/friendsick.  However, I will say that I absolutely loved cake pops and Modern Family.  Wicked with my sister was the best Broadway show I have ever seen.  Wine tasting with my Mom, Dad and Nana on my first night was a delightful blur. Christmas tree shopping was nostalgic. Pho with the family was sadly rushed but I think they got a good taste of Vietnam. Indulging in my favorite wines not once, twice but, yes, three times, was a blessing. I wanted so badly to try out my Vietnamese but our servers were timid ... or was I? I did have some trouble crossing the streets as in Saigon you just go ... only one minor accident involving a bike oops:). It was delightfully cold in the tiny canyons of Coto and even at Newport Beach.  But surprisingly upon reentry to HCMC the humidity was actually comforting. The smells ... comforting.  Burning full moon fires and durian. The traffic, language, lack of personal space all oddly comforting.  Everyone is now getting ready for lunar new year or Tet ... their Christmas basically.  The streets are amazing.  Everything is lit up.  Yellow mai flowers everywhere.  I'm happy to be home .... but miss my family more than ever.  Yeah just familysick. I wonder where home will be next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment